Skip to main content

Journal #8





        I experienced distance learning as an emergency in March of 2020, and as an option for my schooling in my senior year. I also had that option during my freshman year of college, and am currently enrolled in one E-course, which has been offered at FSU before COVID. I have liked the freedom of creating my own schedule and being able to teach myself in a way that works for me, but these I also consider a downside. When I am a teacher, I want to give distance learners ample options to virtually meet privately with me if they find they are struggling with the distance. 

    Open Educational Resources are tools for learning that any teacher can retain, reuse,  revise, remix, and redistribute, following the guidelines of the creator. The article 10 Open Educational Resources You Should Know About by Marianne Stenger provides some valuable examples that can be used as a student and a teacher. One I have  used is Khan Academy, which I used on my own and as instructed by teachers to supplement classroom learning. I am not familiar with the rest included on this list, but the one I feel is most relevant to me is OpenStax, which provides free textbooks to help college students. 

    I will update this blog post when I complete the PowerPoint assignments. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal #1

      I rarely used MS Word in elementary school; most writing assignments were done by hand. In middle school, every student was given a Chromebook, so Google Docs was the only method available. The same applies in high school, excluding a computer competency course where we received a certification in MS Office. In college, I always use Google Docs for assignments and notes because it is what I am most accustomed to using.      The ISTE standard "Designer" is most meaningful to me. As a hopeful future Special Educator, I will have a very wide variety of students with very different needs. The Designer standard emphasizes the use of technology as a way to adapt to students needs. The standard as a whole is important for all educators, as it creates a way to engage students through interactive technology and make learning more fun.     I agree with the concept of a digital native. A digital native is someone born into the age of technology, and therefore never had to make adj

Journal #4

       LAFS.5.SL.2.5 is an ELA Common Core State Standard for fifth grade students. It states that with help, students should know how to enhance a presentation with audio/visual elements. I feel I am prepared to implement this statement. Since middle school, I have been giving presentations using PowerPoint and Google Slides that include pictures, GIFs, videos, and other multimedia elements. Therefore, it should be an easy skill for me to teach well.      On the CPALMS resource site, the standard  MA.5.FR.2.4 is supported by the Original Student Tutorial "Carnival Craziness." In it, students must help characters prepare for a carnival by using unit fractions to divide. This resource can be used in my teaching to supplement a lesson. After building a fundamental understanding of the standard, students can complete this tutorial to strengthen their skills. The tutorial presents a fun, colorful story for students to interact and engage with, making learning the standard more fu